Thursday, August 10, 2017

What do blockchains and wait-free universal constructs have in common?

SPAA 2017 and PODC 2017 are over but what I heard there will stay with me for a long time  :)
I learned a lot, got to present a brief announcement on Hazard Eras, met in person many interesting researchers in the field, had some awesome discussions about lock-free memory reclamation, and much, much more.
Sure, most of the talks are very theoretical, not the kind of thing I would recommend a software engineer, but just to get to pick the brains of all these men and women is worth the admission price.

For those of you who were not there, Maurice Herlihy gave an amazing keynote about Blockchains and how they are related to Universal Constructs and wait-free.
I say "amazing" because Andreia and I have been working hard for the past year on a practical universal construct, so it's cool to see that there are some similarities of our research with Blockchains and Proof of Work. I even got to chat with Maurice a couple of times to get some of his insights on wait-free universal constructs versus transactional memory.
He was nice enough to put his slides online, so click the link for a small taste of what it was like to be there https://t.co/xy3K4YX9fC




2 comments:

  1. Thanks for another excellent post. Where else could anybody get that type of info in such an ideal way of writing? In my opinion, my seeking has ended now. blockchain jobs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog.

    ReplyDelete